Friday, April 13, 2012

Just a L'il Somethin' I Picked Up for Vacation: Milani's Liquif-EYE ...

Though I’ve been on a bit of a shopping spree lately, surprizingly enough I spent next to nothing in preparation for Jamaica.  I’ve got plenty of shorts, tank tops, Summer dresses, bikini’s, and sandals – and I’ve clearly got more than enough makeup.  However, one thing I did set my sights on was a deep, shimmering teal eye liner.  I had planned on picking up Too Faced Perfect Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner in Perfect Peacock, a pencil liner that goes on as smoothly as a liquid with great staying power.  However, at the time I went to buy it, I was feeling a bit *pinched* shall we say for cash, and I thought I’d do the smart and thrifty thing by picking up the drugstore version, Milani’s Liquif-EYE Metallic Eye Liner Pencil in Aqua.  It has a similar formulation, going on smoothly and easily with excellent wear time. 

The first thing I noticed about the Milani version, aside from the fabulous not-your-average-drugstore-product packaging, was that it was lighter than what I was looking for – it was more of an aqua as the name states, than a teal.

Without flash, artificial lightWith flash

…In fact, it looked strikingly familiar; didn’t I already have a shade just like this?  I went through my stash, and this is what I found:Top to bottom: MUFE Aqua Liner #5, Milani Liquif-EYE Liner in Aqua

MUFE’s Aqua Liner #5 – a sparkling turquoise blue.  While it has much more shimmer in it, is more blue, and the formulation (a liquid) is different of course, they certainly bear a resemblance.  They also both have exceptional wear time – the Milani pencil wore throughout the day with only minimal fading, and the MUFE liner refuses to come off until you put in some good elbow grease to do so. While I’m not a fan of having repeats in my collection, I’m not terribly put out by this discovery, as the Milani linerwas only about $5, and it’ll be easier to use on my lower lash liner than the MUFE option would be. And the good news is that there’s still a vacancy in the ‘teal’ liner department in my stash, so that’ll need to be filled pronto :)

For a drugstore liner, Milani’s Liquif-EYE pencils are a stellar option at a great price.  Unfortunately, it only comes in five shades: black, brown, aqua, gold, and silver – but if you’re in the market for any of these colors, I urge you to check these pencils out.  The black shade is the next on my list – it creates a perfect, saturated line, without any tugging or worries about smudging throughout the day.  For a mere $5, how can you go wrong?

What drugstore product goldmines have you found lately? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment