Wednesday, April 11, 2012

bang bang she shoots: Japanese Pencil Eyeliners: K Palette One ...

I've been a fan of Japanese liquid eye liners for a while now - they're the only liners that actually stay put on the eyes and they give such fine lines. Since I found the liquid liners work so well on my oily lids, I decided to branch out with the pencil liners as well. This post is a review/comparison as well as sharing my thoughts on these products.

I gave up pencil eyeliners a long time ago but I changed my mind when I saw the K Palette One Day Tattoo Lasting Eyeliner pencil for ¥525! I also decided to give the Shiseido Integrate Killer Wink Gel liner pencil (what a name! LOL). I got curious after watching the tv commercial!!

The K Palette One Day Tattoo Lasting Eyeliner

I decided to go with grey thinking it'd be a much wearable, everyday kind colour compared to black - I was right!

The K Palette Lasting Eyeliner comes with a smudging applicator end - which is useful to tone down the liner or to smoke out the eyes as suggested on it's website. The packaging isn't very glamourous - very plain and no-frillish - a bog-standard looking pencil. I'm not big on packaging so it didn't deter me from buying it. You are little paying what you pay for here - at least for the packaging!

Shiseido Integrate Killer Wink Gel liner 

The commercial of this pencil caught my eyes and I really like the novelty idea of it being a gel-texture pencil - instead of being a pot for once!! Love the packaging sleek and shiny (not in a tacky kind of way either!) - the fact that it's a mechanical pencil means it's pretty much fuss-free. The pencil itself is fine as 2mm that allows you fill in the gaps between the lashes easily.

 The swatch alone (no primer/powder) -
top-bottom: Shiseido Integrate Kill Wink Gel liner - - The K Palette One Day Tattoo Lasting Eyeliner


The K-Palette Lasting Eyeliner in grey is not an exact grey - brown like a taupe-y kind of grey colour. Brown is available but it's a warm brown.. thus, this is a perfect everyday colour!  Like all K-Palette claims, it's suppose to be super long-lasting - like a tattoo!

Shiseido Integrate just released a brown version of the Kill Wink Gel Liner, I happened have bought the black version  - as you can see it's creamy and very pigmented too! It's suppose to be water and sweat proof.

Both of textures are really smooth and creamy so they glide around the eyes really smoothly and fills in any gaps between the lashes really easily too. 


Rubbing after application - the K palette smudges quicker and the Shiseido Integrate stays put and adheres to the skin really well - a bit like a liquid liner!!
deceptive results..
I was really surprised the K Palette liner had rubbed off so quick, whereas the Shiseido Integrate remained intact on the skin! The Shiseido barely rubbed off. However these results were actually quite deceptive!

Here's WHY -

After soaping!
Your eyes are not deceiving you, my hand is red! I soaped and rubbed pretty hard LOL! Yes the K Palette is still there!! Soap and water can't remove it but you can with the Shiseido one. I highly recommending setting the K palette liner to prevent instant rubbing from initial application - it's been pretty much fool-proof for me!

In action -

using the K palette Longlasting Liner - a sharp extended line with a MAC 266!

 The K palette lasted ALL day when it's set with shadow! Even though it appears to rub off quicker on the swatch, upon application I found that I could render and clean the line up really easily with a liner brush (in my case a MAC 266!).


Sorry couldn't find a better quality picture but as you can see there are very little smudge and fade going on there. I took the picture above after a long day out!!

This liner does smudge on it own on my oily but not as severe as other pencil liners (including the Shiseido Integrate!) I have previously used. It doesn't budge if I set it with shadow and smudges less using a shadow primer (seen above pic).


The best thing about the Shiseido Integrate Killer Wink Gel Liner, is that it is really black- it's one of the true blackest liners (of pencil) I have probably used.  I tested it out during the day and it did give me more a stronger look on the eyes.
day makeup taken in HK sans mascara - i can already see smudges lol

The Shiseido Integrate adheres to the skin much quicker, so for that reason it's hard to clean up - with just a liner brush. Strangely, I still managed to get panda eyes with alone application (it smudged quickly for the makeup I did above).

It smudged far less when it was set properly (picture below). If you have oily lids like I do, I always find that that priming the eyes and setting the pencil with shadow really helps. 

a light brown smokey done approaching evening

a few hours later - faded but little smudging :)

 Although the Shiseido Integrate Killer Wink Gel Liner ultimately didn't work out that well for me - it is a good quality gel-liner pencil, in terms of it's colouring and texture for the price I paid. Compard to the Maybelline Gel liner, which I bought last summer - this held out MUCH better for a similar price. I like to keep this in my makeup bag just in case for a transition day-to-night look! This is might a lot of ladies who love true-black liners.

I love the K-Palette for being a versatile liner- you can actually smudge it with pencil's sponge applicator to create a more subtle or smokey look and you can render the liner easily with a liner brush for a clean look. You can't beat 525yen pencil!! I highly recommend this grey pencil for everyday makeup. I may consider the black or brown in the future.

Both liners aren't perfect but they work work in their own ways and have their unique points. They make a good alternative to liquid liners for sure! I would for a Japanese pencil liner for future purchases!

I hope you found this post somewhat useful. Thanks for reading! xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment