Monday, February 27, 2012

Searching for the Ultimate: Pencil Eyeliner Edition

Looking, trying, testing, are all parts of the process when looking for the one.

The HG "X", once you find the one, you never look back, you never cheat on it, you tell others and rave whenever asked, and the search is all worth it.

For some, the one comes easily. For beauty bloggers, well, we seem to be pickier.

This will be the first edition to a status on my search for The Perfect Pencil Liner

Pencil liner was one of the first make up products I ever used. I used to line my lower waterline for YEARS. Never the top lash line or tight line but always the lower one

( I don't know when or how I started but that was "the look" I was faithful to for most of my make up youth)

I don't even remember what I used back then. I'm positive whatever I used the packaging changed because I no longer recognize it on drugstore shelves. I think Maybelline??

Moving on…

Since my "Maybelline" days, I have tried quite a *ahem* few pencil liners…yet I have still to find an HG…but the search continues

The reason why my search is taking so long:

My eyes are annoying. My top lid overlaps my lower lids when I blink. I need a very waterproof liner because every time I blink (which is often!) the liner rests on my skin, not on my lower lids.

Also my eye shape. The ends of my eyes on the top lid are longer than the lower (yes, I have had time to think about this) so the outer corners are always becoming racoony

If you experience the same issue: tight line the main and middle portion of your eyes and avoid the corners. You will never see those corner smudges again, but I am on the search for the ultimate liner, not the alternate routine!

*NOTE (My preferences/requirements)* I do not care if a black pencil is not the blackest black black out there, I just need it to be pretty black and stay on my waterlines for the whole day. I also do not like too smudgy liners, I want it to set and stay in place all day!

Liner's in my current collection:

Drugstore Liners

Prestige Total Intensity Eyeliner: This is very black! This is very smooth, this also smudges within about 2 minutes on being on my eyes and is thus a fail for me.

Milani Liquefy Eyeliners: Super black, super smooth, super pigmented! Yet,the product attaches itself to my contacts and I go blind within 15 minutes. This is not the one.

Middle Range Liners

Sephora Waterproof KEEP Liners: These are actually not bad for the price. When applied to the middle parts of my lids they stay on most of the day but the corner smudges after about 4 hours so this is not the one, but very nice for the price

Sephora NANO liners: These come in nice colors but don't last on my waterline for past 3-4 hours when it begins to fade in patches

Higher end Liners:

Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof Liner: The black is not very black in my opinion. The sharpener is ok…I am not the biggest fan of retractable. This slightly tugs on my lids, and doesn't seem to last on my waterline for more than about 2 hours. This is not something I would repurchase.

Chanel Eye Khols: The colors are stunning, I only have 1 shade but it's not very smooth. It's very hard. This does not last long on my waterline for more than 2 hours and begins to smudge. Luckily this color is so gorgeous it starts smudging beautifully into a very nice shade. Too bad. Will not be the HG.

Lancôme Le Stylo Waterproof Liner: Also not very black, also retractable, also not very waterproof! One of the worst high end liners I ever tried. Smudges and not long lasting at all. A disappointment. Usually I love Lancome!

MAC Eye Khols: I love some of the shades, but these don't last long on my waterline. Fading begins about hour 4.

MAC Waterproof liners: Sorry smudge city! I don't care if they stick on "Waterproof "on the label.

Urban Decay 24/7 Liners: WOW, this smudges on me within about 2 minutes of application. Great colors, super smooth, nicely pigmented but ZERO staying power on me.

MUFE Aqua Liners: My current favorite but just not the one. These smudge on my lower outer corners. The rest of the eyes are fine but that damn outer corner! Nice selection of colors and quite pigmented. Not the most waterproof liner I ever tried, but definitely a good pencil.

Bare Minerals Big and Bright Eyeliner: Faded in about 45 seconds one of the worst I ever tried, period.

Clinique Eyeliner (retractable): Not too impressed, just ok, I forgot I even owned it, which states how much I liked it

Liners of my future:

So….the above list shows a list of liners I use but never am fully satisfied with.

Here are some of the liners I have been looking into to see if they can be the one for me!

YSL Eye Pencil

I have heard this is an excellent pencil! We shall see…. I recently have been using their new cream gel liner with great success!

Benefit Bad Gal:

Which I just purchased today. This received so many mixed reviews. I know I tried it last week and it was great on my top waterline I did not try the lower water line, we shall see...

(ack why is the picture blurry!!!)

So tell me ladies, do you continue searching for the ultimate? What is your HG liner or at least favorite if you have one!! Please share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment